Freeway improvement projects in the Phoenix area will require closures or lane restrictions this weekend, May 1-4, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. Drivers are encouraged to allow extra travel time and consider alternate routes while the following freeway restrictions are in place:
- Eastbound Interstate 10 narrowed to one lane between Chandler Boulevard and Queen Creek Road from 10 p.m. Friday to noon Saturday, May 2, for installation of overhead message sign and traffic-flow sensors. Eastbound I-10 on-ramp at Wild Horse Pass Boulevard closed. DETOUR: Please adjust travel schedule if possible to avoid restriction. Allow extra travel time and be prepared to slow down and merge safely when approaching work zone. Consider using eastbound I-10 on-ramps at Queen Creek Road or Chandler Boulevard while ramp at Wild Horse Pass Boulevard is closed.
- Westbound Interstate 10 narrowed to one lane between Riggs Road and Wild Horse Pass Boulevard from 10 p.m. Saturday to noon Sunday, May 3, for installation of overhead message sign and traffic-flow sensors.
- Westbound Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) closed between Greenfield Road and Country Club Drive in Mesa from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday, May 4, for paving as part of freeway-widening project. DETOUR: Alternate routes include westbound US 60. Westbound Loop 202 traffic exiting at Greenfield Road can detour to westbound McKellips Road.
- Eastbound Interstate 10 closed between Interstate 17 (stack interchange) and State Route 51/Loop 202 (mini-stack interchange) from 9 p.m. Friday to 9 a.m. Saturday, May 2, for tunnel cleaning and freeway maintenance. I-17 ramps to eastbound I-10 closed. DETOUR: Eastbound I-10 traffic approaching closure can detour on southbound I-17 and reconnect with I-10 near Sky Harbor Airport.
- Westbound Interstate 10 closed between Interstate 17 (split interchange) near Sky Harbor Airport and 27th Avenue, west of I-17 (stack interchange), from 9 p.m. Saturday to 9 a.m. Sunday (May 3) for tunnel cleaning and freeway maintenance. Westbound Loop 202 and southbound SR 51 ramps to westbound I-10 also closed. DETOUR: Westbound I-10 traffic can detour on northbound I-17 near the airport and reconnect with I-10 at the Stack interchange north of Van Buren Street.
- Country Club Drive closed in both directions at Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) in Mesa from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, May 3, for bridge work. Loop 202 on- and off-ramps at Country Club Drive will remain open with only right turns allowed. DETOUR: Consider alternate routes, including McKellips Road.
- Southbound Interstate 17 narrowed to one lane overnight between Jefferson Street and 19th Avenue from 9 p.m. Sunday to 5 a.m. Monday, May 4, for pavement repairs. DETOUR: Alternate routes include eastbound I-10 in the downtown Phoenix area.
Additional freeway-restriction information will be listed on ADOT’s website, azdot.gov, under ADOT News. Visit the site to also subscribe to ADOT email updates, including weekend restriction information.