Freeway improvement projects in the Phoenix area will require closures or lane restrictions this weekend, April 17-20, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. Drivers are encouraged to allow extra travel time and consider alternate routes while the following freeway restrictions are in place:
- Eastbound Loop 202 closed between Interstate 10 and Price Road in Chandler from 10 p.m. Friday to noon Saturday, April 18, and from 10 p.m. Saturday to noon Sunday, April 19 for traffic-technology installation, including new message board. All I-10 ramps to eastbound Loop 202 also closed. DETOUR: Please use alternate routes, such as eastbound Ray Road or Chandler Boulevard.
- Loop 202 narrowed to one lane in both directions between Power and Broadway roads in east Mesa from 5 a.m. Saturday to 10 p.m. Sunday, April 19, for paving as part of widening project.
- Alma School Road closed in both directions at Loop 202 in Mesa from 5 p.m. Friday to noon Monday, April 20 for bridge work. Both Loop 202 off-ramps at Alma School Road also closed. DETOUR: Please use alternate routes, including Country Club Drive.
- McKellips Road closed in both directions at Loop 202 from 10 p.m. Friday to 7 p.m. Saturday, April 18, for bridge construction. Loop 202 on- and off-ramps at McKellips Road now closed until October for widening project. DETOUR: Please use alternate routes, including Country Club Drive.
- Northbound Interstate 17 narrowed to one lane overnight between 19th Avenue and Van Buren Street from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights, April 19-21, for pavement repairs. Northbound I-17 off- and on-ramps between Buckeye Road and Adams Street closed. DETOUR: Please consider alternate routes, including westbound I-10 in the downtown Phoenix area.
- Central Avenue closed in both directions at Interstate 17 from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday, April 20, for city of Phoenix bridge project. Central Avenue connections to I-17 frontage roads will remain open. DETOUR: Please consider alternate routes, including Seventh Avenue or Seventh Street.
Additional freeway restriction information will be listed on ADOT’s website, azdot.gov, under ADOT News. Visit the site to also subscribe to ADOT email updates, including weekend restriction information
The Mesa Independent is available in Mesa and Maricopa County