Drivers taking to the state’s highways over Memorial Day weekend will not encounter any full closures for construction or maintenance work, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
ADOT and its contractors will give drivers a break from closures from Friday afternoon to Monday night in an effort to support safe holiday weekend travel.
As part of the state’s “Stay Alert – Stay Alive” safety campaign, drivers are urged to focus on the following safe-driving recommendation:
- Check your vehicle, including the tire pressure
- Allow extra travel time and be prepared for unscheduled closures due to crashes, disabled vehicles or other incidents
- Get some rest before traveling – fatigue is a serious safety risk
- Never drive while impaired – arrange for a designated driver in advance
- Use caution in existing work zones
- Buckle up and obey speed limits
- Pack extra supplies, including drinking water and snack foods
Check on highway conditions by visiting ADOT’s Travel Information site at www.az511.gov or by calling 5-1-1. Updates also are available on ADOT’s Twitter feed (@ArizonaDOT).
The Mesa Independent is available in Mesa and Maricopa County